Sunday, August 18, 2013

Free

Free                                         March 3, 2006

A journey to my youth
Would be a stroll into a time
Many of you youngsters
Would find oppressive,
Or, in fact, preemptive.
A journey to my youth
Would take me back to a place
When trouble didn't really seem
To find me so easily.

Today is such a complex time.
Computers and cell phones
Own this whole wide crazy world.
I've never built up the courage
To ask my elders this,
Of whether they find today
To be more threatening
Than yesterday.
But what I dare not fathom
Is what the future may harbor
In her dark, bleak waters.
Thus, there is the voyage
Back in time.

I'm nearly a quarter century old,
And frankly, that's frightening.
I don't have the warmth
Of a parent's hand anymore
To guide me through troubled waters
When the surf's up and the tide is high.
It's just me now, a free man.
Free to fall in love.
Free to develop a broken heart.
Free to build an empire.
Free to lose all my shares.
Free to be on my own.
Free to die in whatever fashion.
In essence, it's the lack of simplicity
That I miss the most,
And the gift of freedom
That, despite all it entitles me to,
Frightens me to the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment