Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Phoenix Festival

The Phoenix Festival                                  April 11, 2008

The sun once again lives for a longer day.
The furry ones take a break from their slumbers.
I only know of one thing that comes to mind,
And that is spring is finally here amongst us.

For three torturous months, I toiled in agony,
Always having to view a sky conceptualized by death,
With tree branches conjuring up images of geriatric hands,
No critters in sight, and standing in a few feet of snow.
But now it's gone, gone, o' now, it's gone,
And a new season turns the page on the calender
As we begin the Phoenix festival again.
My! How God must be smiling on us again!

And now, I can bask in the warmth of the smiling sun,
Wash my car, listen to some hardcore rock radio
Without wishing I were six feet dead in a lettuce patch.
Football is a cool game, to that I can't deny,
But my heart lies on a diamond,
What Dr. Giamatti called "green fields of the mind."
I can wear a ball cap, some Birkenstocks, and be in season
Because they make me happy, really, for a simple reason,
The same ol' reason why I like spring,
And why I romp on the Phoenix festival again:
Because I think God's smiling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment