Monday, August 26, 2013

The Devil in Me

The Devil in Me                                     February 8, 2006

The fireworks have erupted,
But it ain't the Fourth of July.
He has risen, alright,
But it ain't no Easter Sunday.
All he and I talk about is me,
Not Jesus hanging at Calvary.
What has risen is the devil in me.

Now, it has been a long time
Since Ol' Scratch rose from the sea,
And time has healed old wounds
He left me in his wake,
But below the murky underlying waters
Is buried many deep, deep scars,
And just when I turned a blind eye,
Ol' Scratch returned to stake his claim.

Ol' Scratch hardly wasted any time
When he came on the ship's deck.
He thrashed and tortured the people
His host had come to love.
To combat him were a host a bombs
Who were hurled right at him,
And they didn't faze him anything like
They did once before.

He's back, and he's more powerful
Then he ever was before.
He's as mean as can be
And he's stooping to new lows.
Ol' Scratch is making his presence felt,
And to the boy, the burden weighs a ton.
If there is to be victory over the devil in me,
It's nowhere in sight for me to see.
I pray to God for enlightenment and comfort.
Perhaps that'll hasten Ol' Scratch's demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment