Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lonesome Road

Lonesome Road                                         April 16, 2006

Another day, just a-drivin' along
Around some curves, the radio playing some song.
I never knew way back when
Things could be so wrong
When they should, indeed, be right.
I shed a tear, panic without any fear,
Wondering if there's anything left to see.
I guess, anyhow, that's how things are.
We all have to go down that lonesome road pretty far.

My baby left me for another man,
For what, you ask, I will never know.
She said to me, "You'll never understand."
She doesn't know how right she was.
Since then, I've drank myself into a hole,
One big fish hole into which you could put a lure,
And if you throw me that worm, that's a shame,
Because I'd almost certainly lunge my way toward.

I've been a fool so many times,
Too many times for me to count.
I left my job, called in dead,
Told 'em, "Ya wanna find me, I'll be six feet deep."
These days, I find myself laying in bed,
Counting the ridges in the ceiling,
Having nothing better to do.
That, in a nutshell, is my journey down the lonesome road,
 The most painful excursion of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment