Sunday, August 11, 2013

We Suffer Because He Suffered for Us

We Suffer Because He Suffered for Us                            August 24, 2006

Today, I let go of one link to my past.
I see the pages of my history turning,
And all I know is I'm holding on,
Clinging desperately to what I have,
For I know that there won't always be
Another tomorrow to look forward to.
I look at my surviving elders and see
That they, too, shall eventually meet
The old man's same painful fate,
The same fate that Jesus met on Calvary.

Once, I was a boy, too young to see
The time in a bottle running down on me.
All the while, Mother Nature was ticking,
Picking and choosing at her will,
But now I'm grown up, and suddenly I see
Perhaps that's the cruelest trick in the book.
As much as He died for us, so I believe,
We live life so we'll feel His pain.

My mother was there for me as a young one.
She wiped away my tears when I would cry,
And today, at age 24, I sat at the old man's funeral,
And she was there, holding my hand as she used to.
I knew right then that I was not alone in the world,
That other people older than me know it, too.
Part of believing in the Savior, as I said before,
Is the fact that we suffer because of Him,
For Him, we suffer because He suffered for us...

...or so I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment