Sunday, August 11, 2013

Only in a Dream

Only in a Dream                                             September 23, 2006

Baby, I saw you for the first time in a long, long time,
From a distance far, though not nearly so long.
You were always a great mystery to me,
And I never knew if you were the proverbial butterfly.
Little darlin', I'd like to take you by the hand
And lead you to a special place in this heart of mine,
But there are things about you that I don't know so well.
Perhaps it'll happen in a dream of mine.

They say if things don't happen in real life times,
You'll experience them only in a dream.
Running my hands through that silky tan hair
Seems to me to be the hardest achievement in the world.
I never really knew you well before,
And perhaps the best thing would be to forget you,
But to do so might result in my losing an angel,
Killing dreams that therefore never were.

So elegant, yet in a simple kind of way,
So sweet that I never knew the likes of which before.
I never have experienced butterflies like this.
Never even forged that river, either.
I look at her, and I wish she was mine.
I plainly see why love can be sublime.
If only I could have her for now and for all time,
Would that be asking too much?  Would that be a crime?

Perhaps I'll feel her love only in a dream,
A love set in ways, Cupid's arrows struck true,
But Lady Luck and Destiny haven't seen it fit
To make me hers and her to be mine.
Should I look elsewhere?  Where would I go?
It's never as simple as a "yes" or a "no."
If I can't have her for real, I can't wait for the Sandman
To drop by and make me a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment