Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day Comes

Day Comes                                                            May 26, 2007

The sun rose
And the rooster crowed,
But I woke up
And still, the day was dark.
I couldn't see anything
But a phantom in my midst.

Life, as they call it,
Had me on the telephone.
It wanted to know
If I would sell my soul.
I already did,
And the exchange
Was 26 years ago.

I was born,
And I have to die,
But everything in between
Is just nickels and dimes.
Material things never mattered to me,
And yet, they're next to Godliness.
We have to struggle,
Or drift asunder.

But would that really be so bad
To fly like a feather in a turbulent wind,
Twisting and snapping at every call?
Would it be so bad to be free?
If I could fly away to El Dorado
And swim in the fountains of youth?

I'm rendered redundant
By the thought of living by The Word,
Existing as though I was bad from birth.
I'm a cripple to my own destiny,
And with each clang of the hammer,
I'm just damning my old, broken soul...
Oh wouldn't you know your own time is ticking?

No comments:

Post a Comment