Thursday, August 8, 2013

Listening to You

Listening to You                                                  November 14, 2005

The boss man hired me
'Cause they say I'm a smart man,
But they don't know me so well.
I lie, cheat, trip over my own feet,
The pastor say if I don't pray, I'll go to hell.
I guess what he saw was my billboard face,
All painted up, shiny and bright.
Oh well, what the hell? Who gives a damn?
I didn't get anywhere by listenin' to you.

The underlings don't call me Hoover for nothin',
'Cause they've seen me suck the dollars outta pockets.
I can't add two plus two and get four,
And definitely can't model and gain acclaim,
But I've got some moxy, whatever it takes,
And it defies belief, some clergy lose faith,
Because as I told you earlier, I ain't ever gotten anywhere
By sittin' around, listenin' to you.

So many doubted me, said I couldn't get it done,
But look who's laughin' away, lappin' it up now!
Deny the human spirit what you will,
But I shall win out by hook or by crook.
I can go on about what makes me tick,
But what's the point? You aren't a believer,
You'd say it's a trick, I do believe.
Oh well. What is it that I claim?
Oh yes. I ain't gotten anywhere by listenin' to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment