Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Death of the General

Death of the General                                           December 16, 2005

Driving down the road, 
Listening to some tunes, 
Hearing a loud pop, 
A sound I dread. 
I pull over, frightened, 
But I don't know why 
When I already know the answer. 
The General died on me. 
That bastard. 
He couldn't have lived on 
For a few more measly miles 
So I could make it from Point A 
To Point B. 
And so it is with this dead bastard 
That has left me wrathful. 
I turn him loose and find 
That has been stabbed 
By someone's nail left 
In that winding black river of asphalt 
On which I drive. 
I ponder this: Why couldn't he have the sense 
To move away from the pending danger? 
Didn't his mama ever teach him 
To stay away from sharp objects? 

Oh. I forgot. The General is a bastard. 

Alas, the show must go on. 
I appoint a temporary officer to pull rank 
Whilst I search for a more long term answer. 
After that, I play the part of the undertaker 
By dumping his sorry round ass into the trunk 
And read him his last rites. 
With this, I enter the hearse 
And drive toward the funeral home. 
I want to kick him so badly because he couldn't hold up, 
But he was such a cheap bastard. 
I guess that means 
Some of the blame belongs to me 
Since I simply wasn't willing to pay more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment