Sunday, August 11, 2013

Perdition

Perdition                                             January 4, 2007

Down that lonesome highway
Along the path to Despair,
I shine a light on another man's footsteps,
Each pooled in blood.
You can tell he was damned for his sins
Against the earth and The Father,
And like him, I'm on that same road.
Perdition.

Dead trees line that highway.
Looks like West Texas, indeed.
Dry skulls sprinkle the landscape of scaly ground.
Sagebrush and tumbleweed are everywhere I see.
Dark souls are strolling north bound,
Chanting lyrics akin to those Gaelic mythos.
Looks like they think I've been a bad boy,
And as such, I'm going down that road
To Perdition.

Cry for me, Mother Mary,
For I have not forsaken you.
Cry for me, sweet Jesus.
Since when have I disgraced you?
Oh, I've heard of those tales from the pulpit
Of how we're born into filth and sin,
Yet, I'll continue to say it again and again
That I never intended to slap your holy face
And be sent down that road toward
Perdition.

It's growing increasing hotter the further south I go.
I must be close to my grande finale.I never sensed the wild adventure would end this way.
I never knew I wouldn't have one final say.
Oh well.  This is going to hurt indeed
Because I chose to be a free thinker, indeed,
But better live comfortably within my own skin
Than live a life of faux sanctity
And be embroiled in the ultimate lie.
I guess I will die a martyr's death
In at least one man's eyes
As I take my final steps toward the place called
Perdition.

No comments:

Post a Comment