Thursday, August 8, 2013

Raging Tempest

(This was authored around the time Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast in September 2005.)

Raging Tempest                                               September 4, 2005

I was a walking down the street,
Clothed ironed so very nice and neat,
Then, they came over the waves
And told the populace to leave town, storm's a brewin'.
What was I to do? What was I to say?
What could I do but bow down and pray?
Bend on over, pucker my lips,
Close my eyes 'cause I's gonna die,
And I need my soul to be searched, yes indeed,
'Cause I had to know if it was Heaven or hell,
And all the while, my heart's a racin',
Beatin', pumpin', ragin', screamin',
Scratchin', pullin', beggin' for mercy,
Sayin', "Get me the fuck outta here, you fool."

Will I listen to my heart's request,
And was it my mind who really was doin' the talkin'?
New Orleans simply won't hold this ground at bay,
And I guarantee no radio's blarin' Led Zeppelin today.
This is somethin' serious, my friend,
For the gods must be angry at me and so many more.
I reckon it is that one must go to the zoo
And gather two of all they have,
Build 'em an ark, save a few lives,
But thousands will lie face first in the murky waters
Left in the wake of the raging tempest.

No comments:

Post a Comment